Sunday, 7 October 2007

Whoopsidaisies!

William and Anna (played by Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts) are trying to hop the fence to get into a forbidden garden.

William: Whoopsidaisies!
Anna: What did you say?
William: Nothing.
Anna: Yes you did.
William: No I didn't.
Anna: You said "whoopsidaisies".
William: I don't think so. No one says "whoopsidaisies" do they? Unless they're...
Anna: There is no "unless". No one has said "whoopsidaisies" for fifty years and even then it was only little girls with blonde ringlets.
William: Exactly. Here we go again. [He falls off the fence again] Whoopsidaisies! It's a disease I've got. It's a clinical thing. I'm taking pills and having injections. It won't last long.

(Notting Hill, 1999)

Aha! I seem to have the whoopsidaisies disease too. I expressed some of the symptoms earlier today when I went out to the shops to try and find a pair of sensible black work shoes - the ones I had were really starting to hurt as they were beyond the 'gently worn in' stage and were now in the 'nearly worn through' stage - I was a woman on a mission until the whoopsidaisies set in and I ended up coming home without a pair of black work shoes. Instead I am now the proud owner of a pair of turquoise patent leather ballet flats with tassle bow details. Whoopsidaisies!

No comments: