Wednesday, 10 October 2007

Talk about a comeback!

I might have just made my debut in London, but Kylie and Britney have both recently made their 'comebacks' to the world of pop.

So you might not care, but I'm going to give you my opinions on both of their returns.

Let's begin with Ms Minogue of Locomotion fame.

Alli's verdict: An 'X'cellent comeback. ('X' is the title of her upcoming album). Most people want Kylie to have a good comeback after a pretty craptacular couple of years battling both cancer and alleged cheating boyfriends. Click here to watch the video for '2 Hearts'.

I like the song a lot; it's not as sing-songy as others on the radio at the moment which will be great in mixing up the playlist, but it's still catchy. I must admit, she looks a little weird in the video. A better version of Christina, better than Gwen too I think, but it's not really Kylie. Quite frankly, it's Madonna a la 90s. I thought Kylie had already identified her signature 'classy Kylie' look? Why didn't she stick with it? I do LOVE the Christian Laboutin shoes she's wearing though and the video itself does well to feature Kylie and generate the audience's want of more Minogue. That's how you initiate a comeback. Unlike others...

Which brings us to Ms Spears of 'I married Kevin Federline...' fame.

Alli's verdict: Wanting to get back on the Britney bandwagon, but finding it rather difficult. After her recent slew of child-harming escapades, many want to see Britney fail, in a big, big way. Don't get me wrong. I'm not supporting her as a mother. She's a crap mother by the looks of it. But as a pop singer, I'd like to see her make a decent comeback, and after hearing her new single and seeing the video (click here to see it) I really hope she does and think many might be underestimating just how much 'pop power' she has. You have to relisten to the song a few times, but you can't deny that because of its simplicity it is actually very catchy - yes, in five days I will be very sick of the song I'm sure - but that's the kind of song she needs.

The video is pretty low quality. She could have done a lot better in her performance and the video as a whole doesn't really feature her very well, but you see some glimpses of old Britney and the pop princess personality that used to endear her to the audience. It would be better (just like her VMA performance) if she danced full out rather than just like a hooch on a stripper pole. I did not like that all the characters in the video are played by her. It's been done in other videos (Alanis's Ironic) before. Though, I would also get a huge kick out of wearing all sorts of cool wigs - but I wouldn't be bald underneath. So, could a comeback be in order? Perhaps. The video is not good, and neither is the song, but I won't deny like some of the other that I will certainly be dancing to her song in the studio and at the clubs.

Another comeback that I have recently enjoyed is Robyn. You know - that Swedish singer with the funky blonde hair from the late 90s. She's got some great stuff out.

Who else? I have mixed feelings about the Spice Girls. We'll see what their new single is like in a few weeks. Oh! And Westlife. Their new album is coming out which I will of course, as their ardent supporter, purchase the day it is released even though I like Michael Buble's version of Home (which is their first single - they really need to stop doing covers and get back to Westlife material) better. Those Irish boys have a way of making me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I can't wait until I'm a has-been, then I'm going to make the biggest comeback of all! Woohoo.

And, with regards to my reviews of the new singles: I never said I was a good critic or that you had to read all the way through. But you did. And I appreciate it. You can think I'm a goob if you want. But I'll always be a goob who likes Kylie and Britney and loves Westlife.

No comments: